Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Just in case you're wondering...

Yes, Steve Dupree is my brother... but don't hold that against me. (Those of you who know my brother are already smiling.) What can I say? I'm proud to be a Dupree. That name means a lot to a lot of people around this city. Some know me as Adora Dupree's baby brother; others know me as Master Seargent William Franklin Dupree's son, or Eloise Dupree's "number seven" (of nine children). I was born and raised right here in the heart of East Knoxville. I grew up on Cruze Street. I still wear my Austin-East High School Class of '77 t-shirt (even though it's just a little snug around the middle -- okay, a lot snug -- and even though I graduated from Catholic High.)

I can still remember sitting in class, practicing my signature and daydreaming about one day becoming an attorney and making a difference. Preparing for the fulfillment of that dream took me out of Knoxville to Howard University in Washington, D.C., but my heart has always been right here in East Knoxville. So I came back to make a difference in my own hometown, because this is still where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment